Dennis R. Cloutier, CSP, is the recipient of ASSP’s 2019 Thomas F. Bresnahan Standards Medal. A professional member of ASSP’s North Carolina Chapter and the Society’s Consultant’s Practice Specialty, Cloutier is being recognized for his outstanding achievement in standards leadership and development. He is president of Cloutier Consulting Services.
Cloutier has been highly involved in standards development over the years and has served on the Standards Development Committee. He is involved in ISO standards and was instrumental in the development of technical reports on risk assessment and risk reduction and sound level measurement guidelines. Cloutier has taken on various leadership roles in the development of safety requirements for several standards:
- Power Squaring Shears B11.4;
- Power Transmission Apparatus B15.1;
- Safety Requirements and Risk Assessment, General Machine Requirements B11.0;
- Mechanical Power Presses B11.1;
- Hydraulic Power Presses B11.2;
- Single & Multi spindle screw bar/chucking machines B11.13;
- Coil Processing Systems B11.14 and later B 1.18;
- Powder Metal Compacting Presses B11.16.
The medal is named in honor of Thomas F. Bresnahan, a highly regarded retired ASSP staff member and Society Fellow. Bresnahan reinvigorated the organization’s standards development program and helped position ASSP for future growth. ASSP members active in the development of voluntary national consensus standards are eligible to receive the medal, which is given to one member during ASSP’s annual professional development conference.