Section 12.2: Educational Standards Committee Operating Procedures
I. Roles and Accountability
The Educational Standards Committee supports ASSP’s ability to uphold and elevate the value of the safety and health profession by promoting the development and implementation of educational standards for post-secondary education.
II. Committee Membership
- Committee members shall be appointed by the vice president, academic affairs and research, subject to the approval of the board of directors. The committee shall not exceed seven members.
- Committee membership will be comprised of academicians and one industry representative.
- Committee members serve a three-year term and may not be reappointed. Appointments are structured to allow for staggered terms.
- The chair shall be designated by the vice president, academic affairs and research. The term of the chair is one year, renewable for a maximum of three consecutive years.
- The committee will select an ABET delegate. This individual can be a voting committee member or a non-committee member who sits in an advisory capacity (without vote). The ABET delegate will be required to submit a formal update brief on ABET activities, initiatives, etc., to the Education Standards Committee prior to each of its meetings regardless of meeting participation. The ABET delegate is reappointed each year and can serve no more than three one-year terms.
- The committee will select an ASSP-appointed ANSAC commissioner liaison. The liaison will help recruit and nominate ABET-ANSAC program evaluators and commissioners. In addition, the liaison will work with staff to assign program evaluators to upcoming visits according to ABET’s timetable.
III. Committee Operations
- Method: The committee will primarily meet by teleconference/webinar.
- Schedule: The schedule of meetings shall be drawn up by the committee chair and agreed to by the committee members.
- Quorum: A quorum exists when at least one-half of the members of the committee are present at a meeting, one of whom must be the committee chair. If a quorum is present, a majority vote of members present shall be decisive when a vote it taken.
- Committee Business: The committee may transact official business at meetings, conference calls and by electronic ballots.
- Minutes: Minutes will be prepared for each committee meeting.
B. Budgeting and Finance
The committee operates within the Society budget, including travel, meeting and staff support expenses. Committees are funded through specific budget actions of the Board of Directors.
Approved By/Date: Board of Directors | 12/2019
Replaces Edition Dated: 02/2011
Next Revision Due: 12/2022