ASSP student sections applying for this award must meet the following minimum criteria to be eligible for the award. They must:
- Publish a newsletter at least four times during the academic year
- Send at least one representative to a minimum of two parent-chapter general membership or executive committee meetings per year
- Conduct at least six meetings per year, with four presenting technical content
- Receive faculty advisor endorsement
- Sponsor or participate in at least one community or campus involvement activity
Beyond meeting these minimum criteria, ASSP evaluates student sections applying for the award based on educational activities, student-section-sponsored research and application, community and campus involvement, recognition, member participation and endorsement.