Section 12.3: Research Committee Operating Procedures
I. Roles and Accountability
The research committee promotes the development of research benefitting the occupational safety and health profession.
II. Committee Membership
Committee members are appointed by the vice president, academic affairs and research, subject to the approval of the Board of Directors. The committee shall not exceed seven members.
Committee membership will be comprised of academicians involved in research and two industry representatives.
One seat on the committee will be dedicated to the chair of the ASSP Foundation Research Committee, who will act as liaison. The Foundation liaison will be required to submit a formal update brief on Foundation activities, initiatives, etc., to the Research Committee prior to each committee meeting regardless of meeting participation.
Committee members serve a three-year term and may not be reappointed. Appointments are structured to allow for staggered terms.
The chair shall be designated by the vice president, academic affairs and research. The term of the chair one year, renewable for a maximum of three consecutive years.
The Research Committee may add ex officio members (members without a vote who contribute to the discussions and who can attend meetings) to assist the committee in completion of committee objectives, tasks and/or research.
III. Committee Operations
- Method: The committee will primarily meet by teleconference/webinar.
- Schedule:The schedule of meetings shall be drawn up by the committee chair and agreed to by the committee members.
- Quorum: A quorum exists when at least one-half of the members of the committee are present at a meeting, one of whom must be the committee chair. If a quorum is present, a majority vote of members present shall be decisive when a vote it taken.
- Committee Business: The committee may transact official business at meetings, conference calls and by electronic ballots.
- Minutes: Minutes will be prepared for each committee meeting.
B. Budgeting and Finance
The committee operates within the Society budget, including travel, meeting and staff support expenses. Committees are funded through specific budget actions of the Board of Directors.
Approved By | Date: Board of Directors | 12/2019
Next Revision Due: 12/2022