4.1 Advisory Group Operating Procedures
I. Roles and Accountability
The Advisory Group is a standing committee of the Board of Directors and is responsible for providing input to the Board of Directors on topics/issues related to the OSH profession The Advisory Group is also responsible for cascading relevant information from the Board of Directors to members.
II. Advisory Group Membership
- Advisory Group member composition is as defined in ASSP bylaws.
- Member-at-large participants must submit to serve on the Advisory Group through the ASSP leadership connection form.
- Only completed submissions will be accepted as members.
- Membership will be granted to completed submissions first received, on the basis of time stamped entries.
- On an annual basis Advisory Group membership will be opened to members at large. Members-at-large will not exceed ¼ of the Advisory Group member composition. This number is calculated based on the number of available chapter and elected Advisory Group members.
- Members-at-large serve on the advisory group as representatives of ASSP members and OSH professionals. They are not elected as representatives for specific communities, but rather represent the interests of general membership as a whole.
III. Advisory Group Standing Committee Operations Committee
- The Operations Committee will be comprised of 7-9 advisory group members and will be selected by the Advisory Group through the Operations Committee and confirmed by the Board of Directors.
- Selection of Operations Committee members will follow the current ASSP committee process for application.
- Operations Committee members will serve a three-year term of service and will be responsible for facilitating the Advisory Group. During the first two years of operations, members would serve a staggered term to align to ASSP’s standard of 1/3 rotation each year.
- If an Operations Committee member’s elected term expires during their Operations Committee term, they will remain on the Advisory Group as a member-at-large until the end of their Operations Committee term.
- Specific responsibilities would include:
- Coordinate and facilitate Advisory Group meetings.
- Provide reports as requested or required
IV. Advisory Group Operations
- Method: The Advisory Group will meet virtually.
- Schedule: The Operations Committee shall assist the Board of Directors in scheduling the quarterly meetings with input from the Advisory Group.
- Meeting Agendas: The Board of Directors and Operations Committee will co-create each meeting agenda with input from the Advisory Group.
- Group Business: The group may transact official business at meetings or in writing.
- Minutes: Minutes or summary reports will be prepared for each official meeting.
- Reports: Advisory Group members will receive a Board update report as an outcome of each Board of Directors meeting. The Advisory Group will submit a standing committee report to the Board of Directors twice a year.
B. Budgeting and Finance
- The Advisory Group operates within the Society budget, including operating cost and staff support expenses.
Approved By | Date: Board of Directors | 06/2023
Replaces House of Delegates SOG
Next Revision Due: 06/2026