Section 8.1: Council on Region Affairs Operating Procedures
I. Roles and Accountability
The Council on Region Affairs (CoRA) shall recommend to the Board of Directors policies and operating procedures for Regions, Areas, Chapters, and Sections;
II. Council Membership
- The vice president, region affairs, shall serve as the chair of the Council on Region Affairs.
- The council shall be composed of the chair and the regional vice presidents.
- The council shall elect a vice chair from among its members. The council vice chair serves a one-year term and may be re-elected for one additional term.
- Council members may serve on task forces of the council, as approved by the vice president, region affairs.
- The president, president-elect, senior vice president and chief executive officer shall be ex-officio members of this council.
III. Council Committees & Task Forces
- Standing committees include Outstanding Student Section Award and Leadership Conference
- Committee members shall be appointed by the vice president, region affairs, subject to approval by the Board of Directors. The committees shall not exceed nine members.
- Committee members serve a three-year term and may not be reappointed. Appointments are structured to allow for staggered terms.
- Chairs for each committee shall be appointed by the vice president, region affairs. Chairs will serve one year terms, with a maximum of three consecutive terms.
A. Outstanding Student Section Award Committee
- Assess student section petitions and select the recipient of the annual Outstanding Student Section Award.
- Evaluate and continually improve the Outstanding Student Section Award process and program
B. Leadership Conference Committee
The leadership conference committee reports to the council on region affairs and the council on practices & standards. Operations for the leadership conference are defined in the Communities SOG.
C. Task forces
Task forces may be formed, following the ASSP business planning and task force appointment processes, to execute council workplans.
IV. Council Operations
- Method: The council will meet virtually.
- Schedule: The schedule of meetings shall be drawn up by the council chair and agreed to by the Council members.
- Quorum and voting: A quorum exists when at least one-half of the members of the council are present at a meeting, one of whom must be the vice president, region affairs, or the vice chair, who will be the presiding officer. If a quorum is present, a majority vote of members present shall be decisive when a vote is taken.
- Council Business: The council may transact official business at meetings, conference calls and in writing.
- Minutes: Minutes will be prepared for each council meeting.
B. Budgeting and Finance
The council operates within the Society budget, including travel, meeting and staff support expenses. Committees and task forces are funded through specific budget actions of the Board of Directors.
Approved By | Date: Board of Directors | 6/2023
Replaces Edition Dated: 02/2019
Next Revision Due: 6/2026