For the first time in nearly 10 years, our student section at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) has been named the Outstanding Student Section of the Year. The section is part of the Western Pennsylvania Chapter.
The section was strong in all three critical requirements — professional development, research, and campus and community Involvement. The award committee noted the group's strong technical meetings with diverse topics and presenters, along with great community service projects. The section's research projects, including “The Influence of Surface Types on Walking Parameters With Slips, Trips and Falls on Construction Sites” and “Work Effort and Perceived Exertion While Wearing Passive Exoskeleton and Industrial Overhead Tasks,” also helped the section receive top honors.
Faculty advisor Majed Zreiqat, Ph.D., CSP, and the student section will receive $5,000 to fund scholarships and research. All other student sections that qualified for the award will receive a $500 stipend from ASSP.
Top Three Finalists
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania – First Place
- Murray State University – Second Place
- Millersville University – Third Place
- Oakland University – Honorable Mention
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Florida)
- Grand Valley State University
- Liberty University
- Montana Tech University
- Slippery Rock University
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University
- Texas A&M University
- University of Houston, Clear Lake
To learn more about the award and view IUP's winning application, visit our Outstanding Student Section of the Year Award web page.