Section 10.1: Council on Practices and Standards Operating Procedures
I. Roles and Accountability
The Council on Practices & Standards (CoPS) is responsible for policies and operating procedures for the Practice Specialties and Common Interest Groups.
II. Council Membership
- The vice president, practices and standards shall serve as chair of the council.
- The council shall be composed of the chair, vice-chair, and administrators of the practice specialties and common interest groups.
- The members of the council shall elect a vice chair of the council from among the council members or immediate past administrators The council vice chair serves a one-year term and may be re-elected for one additional term.
- The president, president-elect, senior vice president and chief executive officer of the Society shall be ex-officio members of the council.
III. Council Committees & Task Forces
- Council committee chairs and members are appointed by the Vice President, Practices & Standards, subject to approval by the Board of Directors. The committees shall not exceed nine members.
- Committee members serve a three-year term and may not be reappointed. Appointments are structured to allow for staggered terms.
- Standing committees include Awards & Honors and Leadership conference committee.
- Chairs for each committee shall be appointed by the vice president, practices & standards. Chairs will serve one year terms, with a maximum of three consecutive terms.
- Task forces may be formed, following the ASSP business planning and task force appointment processes, to execute council workplans.
A. Awards & Honors Committee
- Awards & Honor Committee facilitates member recognition at the council, practice specialty and common interest group levels
B. Leadership Conference Committee
- The leadership conference committee reports to the council on region affairs and the council on practices & standards. Operations for the leadership conference are defined in the Communities SOG.
IV. Council Operations
- The council will meet virtually.
- Schedule: The schedule of meetings shall be drawn up by the council chair and agreed to by the council members.
- Quorum and Voting: A quorum exists when at least one-half of the members of the council are present at a meeting, one of whom must be the vice president, practices and standards, or vice chair, who will be the presiding officer. If a quorum is present, a majority vote of members present shall be decisive when a vote is taken.
- Council Business: Official business of the council may be transacted at meetings and in writing.
- Minutes: Minutes will be prepared for each council meeting.
B. Budgeting and Finance
The Council operates within the Society budget, including travel, meeting and staff support expenses. Committees and task forces are funded through specific budget actions of the Board of Directors.
Approved By/Date: Board of Directors | 06/2023
Replaces Edition Dated: 12/2019
Next Revision Due: 06/2026