Section 9.3: Technical Publications Committee Operating Procedures
I. Roles and Accountability
The Technical Publications Advisory Committee ensures the quality and technical integrity of ASSP’s occupational safety and health publications.
II. Committee Membership
- Committee members shall be appointed by the vice president, professional development, subject to the approval of the Board of Directors. The committee shall not exceed 10 members.
- Members shall be representative of academia and industry to ensure a comprehensive review of proposed manuscripts.
- Committee members serve a three-year term and may not be reappointed. Appointments are structured to allow for staggered terms.
- The chair shall be designated by the vice president, professional development. The term of the chair is one year, renewable for a maximum of three consecutive years.
III. Committee Operations
- Method: The committee will primarily meet by teleconference/webinar.
- Schedule: The schedule of meetings shall be drawn up by the committee chair and agreed to by the committee members.
- Quorum: A quorum exists when at least one-half of the members of the committee are present at a meeting, one of whom must be the committee chair. If a quorum is present, a majority vote of members present shall be decisive when a vote it taken.
- Committee Business: The committee may transact official business at meetings, conference calls and by electronic ballots.
- Minutes: Minutes will be prepared for each committee meeting.
B. Budgeting and Finance
The committee operates within the Society budget, including travel, meeting and staff support expenses. Committees are funded through specific budget actions of the Board of Directors.
Within the responsibilities and purposes identified in previous sections, the Committee shall:
Provide written reviews and comments on publishing proposals.
- Reviews shall be based on sound, technical knowledge of the subject matter and shall result in one of the following recommendations:
- Publish the proposed work.
- Refrain from publication until further, specific information is obtained from the potential author(s).
- Not publish the proposed work.
Participate in periodic conference calls (as necessary) to discuss recently reviewed proposals and the current direction of ASSP's technical publication efforts.
Approved By | Date: Board of Directors | 12/2019
Replaces Edition Dated: 02/22/2014
Next Revision Due: 12/2022