Falls, slips and trips accounted for 880 workplace fatalities in 2019, an 11 percent increase from 2018. The ANSI/ASSP Z359 family of standards outline best practices across several aspects of fall protection to help organizations prevent these types of incidents.
ANSI/ASSP Z359.1-2020, The Fall Protection Code, is a comprehensive guide to developing an effective fall protection program. The latest edition includes updates to six standards, and a new standard on safety requirements for climbing ladder fall arrest systems:
- Z359.2-2017, Minimum Requirements for a Comprehensive Managed Fall Protection Program
- Z359.3-2019, Safety Requirements for Positioning and Travel Restraint Systems
- Z359.6-2016, Specifications and Design Requirements for Active Fall Protection Systems
- Z359.7-2019, Qualification and Verification Testing of Fall Protection Products
- Z359.12-2019, Connecting Components for Personal Fall Arrest Systems
- Z359.16-2016, Safety Requirements for Climbing Ladder Fall Arrest Systems
- Z359.18-2017, Safety Requirements for Anchorage Connectors for Active Fall Protection Systems
The Fall Protection Code is a free resource that aims to help you purchase the right fall protection equipment for your employees and understand which standards apply to specific work situations. The code includes an appendix that describes the scope, purpose and content of each Z359 standard to help you determine how each standard may apply to your organization.
“The Fall Protection Code tells you the purpose of each of the Z359 standards so you can know which standards are important for the fall hazards your workers face,” says Craig Galecka of the Z359 committee. “You can then make an informed decision about which standards you should acquire for your organization.”
ANSI/ASSP Z359.1-2020, The Fall Protection Code - Standard
Four Steps of Designing an Effective Fall Protection System - Article
The Top 10 Fall Protection Misuses and What to Do About Them - Article
Fall Protection Anchorage: Are You Anchoring Properly? - Article
The Fall Protection Lifeline: A Safety Professional’s Guide to Self-Retracting Devices - Article