Section 9.1: Council on Professional Development Operating Procedures
I. Roles and Accountability
The Council on Professional Development (CoPD) is responsible for development and implementation of educational programs and publications.
II. Council Membership
- The vice president, professional development, shall serve as the chair of the council.
- The council shall be composed of the chair and shall not exceed six at-large members unless by exception.
- The at-large members shall be appointed by the vice president, professional development, subject to approval by the Board of Directors.
- Council members at large serve a three-year term and may not be reappointed. Appointments are structured to allow for staggered terms.
- Council members may elect a vice chair from among the council members. The council vice chair serves a one-year term and may be re-elected for one additional term.
- The president, president-elect, senior vice president, chief executive officer and chair of the PDC Planning Committee shall be ex-officio members of this council.
III. Council Committees & Task Forces
- Council committee chairs and members are appointed by the vice president, professional development subject to approval by the Board of Directors.
- Standing committees include the Professional Development Conference Planning Committee, the Technical Publication Advisory Committee and the Professional Safety Editorial Review Board. Chairs are welcome to attend monthly meeting of the Council.
- Task forces may be formed, following the ASSP business planning and task force appointment processes, to execute council workplans.
IV. Council Operations
- Method: The council will meet virtually.
- Schedule: The schedule of meetings shall be drawn up by the council chair and agreed to by the council members.
- Quorum and Voting: A quorum exists when at least one-half of the members of the council are present at a meeting, one of whom must be the vice president, professional development, or the vice chair, who will be the presiding officer. If a quorum is present, a majority vote of members present shall be decisive when a vote is taken.
- Council Business: The committee may transact official business at meetings, and in writing.
- Minutes: Minutes will be prepared for each council meeting
B. Budgeting and Finance
The council operates within the Society budget, including travel, meeting and staff support expenses. Committees and task forces are funded through specific budget actions of the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors 1/2023
Replaces Edition Dated: 12/2019
Next Revision Due: 1/2026