OSHA has announced the preliminary Top 10 most frequently cited workplace safety violations for fiscal year 2018. Patrick Kapust, deputy director of OSHA’s Directorate of Enforcement Programs, presented the list during the 2018 NSC Congress & Expo in Houston, TX.
Year to year, the rankings rarely change, although this year's No. 10, "Eye and Face Protection” (1926.102) was not on the 2017 list.
The Top 10 for FY 2018* are:
- Fall Protection – General Requirements (1926.501): 7,270
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200): 4,552
- Scaffolding (1926.451): 3,336
- Respiratory Protection (1910.134): 3,118
- Lockout/Tagout (1910.147): 2,944
- Ladders (1926.1053): 2,812
- Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178): 2,294
- Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503): 1,982
- Machine Guarding (1910.212): 1,972
- Eye and Face Protection (1926.102): 1,536
*Based on data as of Oct. 1, 2018.
ASSP offers a selection of voluntary consensus standards that address many of the issues related to these citations.
In addition, our standards on OSH management systems provide guidance to help employers best protect workers:
Our standards on risk management and safety training also help employers better identify hazards and ensure that employees understand those hazards and their controls.