Central Florida ChapterWISE members partnered with the Central Florida Society of Women Engineers (SWE) to deliver a unique professional development opportunity called “speed mentoring” in place of a regular monthly meeting. The event included nine industry influencers (mentors) who spent 10 minutes each with nine small groups of four to five mentees.
During these brief exchanges, mentors shared their knowledge, skills and experience on a variety of soft-skill topics such as negotiation, persuasion/influence, nonverbal communication, conflict management/resolution, self-reflection, team building/power in numbers, and listening versus talking.
The mentors represented a diverse group of industries and professions:
- Adele Abrams, president, Law Offices of Adele L. Abrams PC
- Kelly Bernish, president, Global SHE Solutions
- Chad Burns, EHS director, Harvard Maintenance
- Dan Cockerell, vice president, Magic Kingdom Park (retired)\leadership consultant
- John McBride, EHS recruiter, Consentium Search
- Renee Michel, EHS director, UCF
- Jerry Rivenburg, leadership development manager, Disney University
- Kartika Rodriguez, general manager, EPCOT
- Anne Spencer, director, Cushman and Wakefield
The mentors were excited to share the secrets of their successes and everyone learned something new to be more successful at work – better enabling them to make a difference in the lives of their workforce.