As healthcare workers combat COVID-19, across the U.S., ensuring that the respirators they must wear fit properly is a critical consideration. A new video, Respirator Fit Testing Using Sweet and/or Bitter Solutions, provides comprehensive guidance on OSHA fit-testing procedures featured in Appendix A of OSHA’s 1910.134 standard on respitatory protection.
In the video, Dr. Roy Mckay, Ph.D., of the Department of Environmental and Public Health Sciences at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, guides viewers through the steps of how to administer OSHA compliant qualitative respirator fit testing, with demonstrations to help employers and employees:
- Prepare respirators for fit testing
- Properly don and doff respirators, with specific recommendations for each make and model and modifications for different contaminants and user factors.
- Prepare and properly squeeze nebulizers
- Check for and resolve clogging in nebulizers
- Avoid common mistakes when using nebulizers
- Understand requirements for recording fit-testing results.
Understanding Risk Management and Assessment
We have the resources and expert guidance you need to improve how you assess risks to prevent hazards, protect workers and safeguard equipment.