OSHA is asking for stakeholder input on their current use of leading indicators and their impact on managing safety and health management systems.
The agency is considering developing a leading indicators resource and is looking for detailed feedback on how/where they are used at their workplace. OSHA is particularly interested in answers to these questions:
- What leading indicators do you use?
- What lagging indicators do you use (e.g., OSHA incident rates)?
- What leading indicators are, or could be, commonly used in your industry?
- What metrics do you share with top management?
- How do you determine the effectiveness of your leading indicators?
- Do you link your leading indicators to outcome data, such as OSHA incident rates to evaluate results?
- How could employers be encouraged to use leading indicators in addition to lagging indicators to improve safety management systems?
- What barriers and challenges have you encountered in using leading indicators?